Welcome to Cob Solutions
We are a small consulting and contacting company with a passion for looking after our country’s special building heritage. We understand that there is a lot to be learned from the way things used to be done, and when you are dealing with old and sensitive materials such as cob and lime, this has never been more true. Having worked almost solely on historic buildings from day one we have a comprehensive understanding of how the various elements of an old building work together to function in its modern environment.
Our specialism is Cob and lime so if your heritage building requires a traditional lime mortar, lime plaster, lime render, repairs to a cracked stone wall, cracked cob wall or even if you are just looking for a bit of advice, then give us a call. We also have good working relationships with many other trades experienced in old buildings so we are able to offer solutions to most projects.
Services we can offer include:
- Durable, healthy and sustainable solutions to damp problems in old buildings of cob, stone, timber or brick houses construction.
- Technical advice for repairs to cracks or structural problems in cob walled, stone walled or other solid walled buildings.
- Traditional lime work:
- External traditional lime rendering.
- Internal traditional lime plastering.
- Fine traditional lime plastering finishes.
- Running Moulds.
- Ashlar stone renders.
- Hot lime plasters, hot lime pointing mortars and hot lime wash.
- Cob and stone work repairs.
- New build work: Cob walls, out buildings, eco friendly and healthy spaces such as offices, studios or workshops in mass cob or cob block.
- Consultancy advise: Pre-purchase surveys of cob and stone structures, Listed building consent advise and applications, Material specifications and method statements, assistance with planning applications.
- Skilled trade associates.
- Cob Pizza ovens.
- Bespoke training and one to one course.
Although we are based just outside Exeter in Devon, we commonly service a wide area of the county and are happy to travel further if we can be of assistance.
Cob buildings, cob walls and most historic building materials are incredibly durable in the right environments, but if not looked after sensitively they will return to their natural and largely organic forms very rapidly. Have a look at our illustration of how porous lime plasters help an old building if you own or are thinking of owning a cob house or old house generally.
Historic lime mortars can be found in a reasonable condition, decades after some of their modern replacements have begun to fail. Traditional lime mortars and plasters are very different to modern lime equivalents and the benefits offered by traditionally made lime mortars are many and go beyond just their natural porosity. Although chemically, many modern materials contain similar ingredients, recent research by the Building Limes forum has indicated that the precise materials, and precise method of manufacture and application play a huge role in making the old materials so successful. We have outlined some of the differences and some general information about traditional building materials on our traditional materials page.